Sipping Sumptuous Wine in the Okanagan Valley
Do you LOVE to have fun with family and friends while sipping sumptuous wine in the Okagana Valley and enjoying the great outdoors? Are you curious to know what makes the Okanagan Valley in BC’s interior such an attractive travel destination?
This article offers you a host of reasons why you should check out ALL that the Okanagan Valley has to offer!
▪ Maybe it’s the crystal blue waters of the lakes surrounding the region, its white sandy beaches or the raw ruggedness of the shale that defines the Okanagan’s gorgeous landscape?
▪ Perhaps it’s the plethora of recreational opportunities that give the Okanagan Valley its signature bounty? In the summer, you’ll enjoy all sorts of watersports ~ everything from swimming to countless sandy beaches, paddle boarding and boating. There are a variety of spectacular golf courses from which to choose. Cycling opportunities abound along trails of varying levels of difficulty.
There is something here for every taste and palate, including world-class hiking adventures year-round.
In the winter, you can relish in the charming and colourful ski resorts located in the rolling, sun-drenched hills of the valley. You can saunter around quaint towns and luxurious vineyards that are connected by a grid of clear blue lakes and rivers and surrounded by winding roads and rolling hills.
▪ Could it be the culinary delights of west coast cuisine that whet the appetite of travellers to the region?
▪ Or the fact that the Okanagan Valley is widely known by foodie enthusiasts as the ‘Land of the Harvest’ where oodles of luscious cherries, apples, pears, peaches, plums and apricots are harvested each year? Just perfect for fruit salads, jams and jelly-making!
▪ Then again, is it possible that the fine reputation the Okanagan Valley enjoys is a result of its high concentration of writers and artists, the excellent calibre of musicianship it draws, and/or a burgeoning local art scene that inspires tourists from all around the globe to make the Okanagan part of their world-class destination travel?
Without a doubt, this popular Canadian vacation destination sure knows how to deliver for all these reasons.
But it’s the abundance of stunning, award-winning wineries that is likely the central draw for thousands of tourists year-round.
According to Wine Searcher, the Okanagan Valley produces more than 80 percent of the province’s output (https://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-okanagan+valley, making the region well-poised to feature beer and spirit tasting, and offer travellers sublime tours to unique, local micro-breweries, spirit distilleries and wineries.
With more than 170 wineries, the Okanagan Valley is the second most prolific wine region in Canada, following Ontario’sNiagara Peninsula. The dry climate in this desert, known for its many micro-climates, produces some unique wines.
The Valley also boasts the world’s first Indigenous winery, aptly called Indigenous World Winery. Located in W. Kelowna, this winery won the ‘Okanagan Winery of the Year’ award in 2018 (www.indegenousworldwinery).
Stretching over 250 kilometres, across sub-regions, each with distinct soil and climate conditions suited to growing a range of varietals from sun-ripened reds to lively whites, did you know, for instance, that:
▪ the Okanagan Valley gets nearly two hours more sunlight per day during the peak growing season, and is warmer and more arid than the Napa Valley?
▪ daytime temperatures can reach 40°C, but the cool nights allow the grapes to maintain their natural acidity, the unique cachet of BC wines?
▪ the Okanagan Valley has four official sub-regions, each possessing distinct soil and climate conditions? These include the Golden Mile Bench, Naramata Bench, Okanagan Falls and Skaha Bench
(Wines of BC at https://winebc.com/discover-bc-wine-country/okanagan-valley).
Come savor the fine taste of local wines and enjoy all that the region has to offer!
You will LOVE that travel to the Okanagan is simple. Drive to the Okanagan Valley and you will find yourself surrounded by coastal mountains to the west, and the Monashee and Rocky Mountains to the east.
Fly into the Okanagan, and you will see yourself arriving at the Kelowna International Airport.
Once you’ve arrived, getting around is easy. Beautiful BC highway routes allow you to get around with ease, while presenting unique and varied possibilities for enjoyable day trips.
In addition to the region’s geographical beauty and all the resplendent nature that abounds here, the people are warm and friendly, the vibe relaxed.
With all there is to see and do, it’s no wonder the Okanagan Valley is such a unique gem!
When planning your next visit, be sure to check out the renowned 10-day Okanagan Fall Wine Festival. According to the American Business Association in 2016, it’s one of the top ten favorites in N. America, attracting over 30K visitors who enjoy various sights throughout the valley.
The Okanagan Wine Fall Festival 2019 is entering its 40th year and has been once again ranked as one of the Top 100 Events in North America (American Touring Association).
Offering over 130 events during the ten days leading up to Thanksgiving, this Festival offers a diverse array of arts, culture and gastronomy and attracts wine tourists around the world. According to www.owfs.com, this Festival generates $4.8 million in direct economic activity and attracts 60,000 consumer visits.
Don’t miss out. Dates coming soon for September and October ’19!
There’s only ONE caveat: Don’t be surprised if you find yourself wanting to linger awhile in the Okanagan. Don’t say you haven’t been forewarned! You may even be tempted to return again and again for MORE wine adventures.
Who knows? You might even catch yourself mulling over the possibility of joining forces with the rest of us who’ve chosen to make Paradise Land our permanent residence!